Become a Reading Partner Today!
Reading Partners is seeking volunteers for their Reading Partners program, which pairs community volunteers to work one-on-one with the same struggling elementary student reader for one hour per week. No prior experience is required, since tutors are provided with a step-by-step curriculum that includes lessons and materials, as well as the support of a full-time site coordinator.
Reading Partners runs programming Monday-Thursday with after school sessions available at our 15 San Francisco elementary schools, including nearby Cleveland Elementary and Monroe Elementary!
Watch this video to learn more about Reading Partners’ work in the community!
Community service performed by youth is intended to strengthen young peoples’ senses of civic engagement and community, and to help them achieve their educational, developmental and social goals. Our vision is to empower today’s youth with the knowledge, skills, and motivation needed to become caring, thoughtful, and philanthropic adults.
· 25 hours of community service hours are required each academic year.
· If students choose to complete more than 25 hours in an academic year, they may do so, however these additional hours cannot count towards the following year. The goal is to develop a sense of community service over your entire high school experience, and hopefully beyond!
· You can complete your entire community service obligation at the same location/organization.
· Community service hours can be accomplished during the summer, and count towards the previous or upcoming school year.
· You need to complete a “yellow community service form” regardless of what type of community service you have done. Turn in completed forms to the counseling office secretary. The forms are also available in the counseling office.
· A community service binder, which lists many local organizations, is available in the counseling office. Students can also access the SFUSD website at: www.sfusd.volunteersmatch.org. They can also access the website from the library homepage.
· A bulletin board listing volunteer opportunities is located outside the College Room
· 5 hours per year (maximum) can be gained in support of fellow students & school events i.e, attend concerts, mock trial, evening college & parent events, a ball game.
Volunteer at Excelsior Branch of SF Public Library!
Chinese-speaking teens needed!
After School Tutoring at San Francisco Community School
We would like to invite Balboa High School students to be a part of our after school tutoring program. Ideally, each participating student would commit to one hour, one day a week for the remainder of the school year to provide consistency and to allow strong relationships to be built between tutor and students. The days and times are Monday, Wednesday and Friday from 3:45-4:45 p.m. Our tutoring program is located on the 3rd floor of San Francisco Community School, located at 125 Excelsior Ave, one block in from Mission Street.
Our expectations for tutors are the following:
1) The tutor will have to complete an interview with teachers before starting to work with middle school students.
2) Show up on time
3) Call SF Community before your tutoring session to let us know if you can’t attend
4) Spend the hour working with students one-on-one or in small groups on math, writing, and science homework assignments. This is a time to support younger students to reach their full potential and understand the demands that lie ahead. We want you to get to know each other so that trust is built, but this isn’t the time to just socialize. We expect the major focus to be on building stronger skills and conceptual understanding.
We hope that you will consider being a part of our tutoring program. Please contact Susi Brennan at SF Community (415) 469-4739 if you are interested.